Product descriptions are displayed on the “Overview” tab on the product page. The purpose of a product description is to provide substantive and informative information for customers. Most of the content in product descriptions are text, but we allow a maximum of two videos. Every seller shares the same product description for each SKU; therefore, seller-specific information is prohibited. These guidelines have been provided to help you create product descriptions that meet Newegg’s quality standards.
Visual Presentation and HTML Restrictions
Not only is substantive content important, but the visual presentation of the content is also necessary. The visual presentation is controlled by the use of HTML tags. HTML tags must be well-formatted (all open tags must be closed, including <p> and <li>). Most sellers are restricted to the following HTML tags: <ol>,<ul>, <li>,<br>, <p>, <b>, <i>, <u>, <em>, <strong>, <sub>, <sup>. In some cases, a seller may be allowed to use more HTML tags as well as CSS. HTML encoding characters should be used sparingly.
- Enter a detailed description featured on the product page. The product description should contain enough information to describe the product and be informative enough for a customer to make a purchasing decision.
- Ensure that the product description is the correct description for the SKU.
- Ensure the visual presentation makes the text readable and makes it easy for customers to efficiently find pertinent product information.
- Follow HTML allowances and restrictions. Only <ol>,<ul>, <li>,<br>, <p>, <b>, <i>, <u>, <em>, <strong>, <sub>, <sup> are allowed. HTML must be well-formatted (all open tags must be closed, including <p> and <li>).
- Adhere to our Offensive Content Policy.
- Use HTML encoding characters sparingly.
- Use proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation to ensure the writing is clear.
- Obtain permission from Newegg before including any disclaimer or other legal information.
Nice to Do:
- Include variant information that was left out of the title due to grouping. The most typical information is usually color and size.
- Use proper spacing and formatting such as bold, underline, or italics formatting and/or underlining to clearly demarcate “Features” and “Specifications”
- Use a writing style that fits the character of the product and is tailored to a specific customer base.
- Include manufacturer and brand information if it provides good information about the product.
- Provide a product video. See our Product Image and Video Policy for more details.
- Enroll in a program that allows you to provide enhanced content by being less restrictive with HTML tags and allows for CSS formatting.
Must Not Do:
- Do not include price, shipping, or warranty information in the product description.
- Do not exhort the customer to use particular search terms.
- Do not include URLs or mention other websites. This includes URLs to websites with warranty support, compatibility information, product manual, or datasheet. However, a URL for downloading a driver or application that is required for the use of the product is allowed if it does not point directly to an executable file (.exe); it may be a URL to a website where they can find the download link.
- Do not mention other products. You may mention that a particular product is part of a particular line or family of products, but you cannot mention specific products.
- Any attempt at cross-selling is strictly prohibited.
- Refrain from product descriptions that use excessive filler and marketing fluff.
- Refrain from promotional/retail jargon.
- Do not use unconventional characters like bullet points.
- Refrain from using bold, italics, or underline formatting other than for headers or the product titles, or “must know” information.
- Do not include any information that is seller-specific including RMA policies.
- Do not create product descriptions that do not provide enough product information.
- Do not refer to holidays unless a SKU is closely associated with a particular holiday.
Please click here to view Must Not Do and Good Examples.